New copies of my book Bowie Knife Fights, Fighters, and Fighting Techniques are now available from Amazon at $24.95.
This blog contains additional information about the bowie knife, as well as the fighting knives of other nations.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Well Armed


From The Scalp Hunters, Or, Romantic Adventures in Northern Mexico, by Mayne Reid, a memoir published in 1851:
We are all somewhat similarly armed and 
equipped. For my part, I may say that I am "armed to the teeth." In my holsters I 
carry a pair of Colt's large-sized revolvers, 
six shots each. In my belt is another pair 
of the small size, with five shots each. In 
addition, I have a light rifle, making in all 
twenty-three shots, which I have learnt to 
deliver in as many seconds of time. Failing 
with all these, I carry in my belt a long 
shining blade known as a "bowie knife." 
This last is my hunting knife, my dining 
knife, and, in short, my knife of "all work."

No comments:

Post a Comment